Necker Island are hiring!
Persons Specification & Agency Brief
Sir Richard Branson’s 74 acre private island, Necker, in the British Virgin Islands, is unquestionably the most idyllic place in the Caribbean. Surrounded by turquoise waters, coral reefs and fringed by white sandy beaches. Necker Island is normally hired exclusively for up to 28 guests on an all inclusive basis, perfect for special occasions and events. It can also be shared with others ‘house-party’ style during Celebration Weeks held several times each year, when guests can book individual rooms. Accommodation comes in the form of The Great House and six individual Balinese style houses. The property is also home to Sir Richard Branson.
The style of Necker is “barefoot luxury”, brilliant delivery without the gold buttoned white jackets – think Richard and you’ll get it! Guests are encouraged to view the island as their home. The island provides extensive watersports activities as well as tennis courts with resident coach, gym and spa.
Reporting to the Activity Manager and Deputy Activity Manager, you will be running daily excursions, teaching lessons, driving the fleet of powerboats for transfers and you will also be required to run the basic repair, maintenance and safety checks on the fleet and equipment.
All Necker team members carry out guest hosting as part of their remit and the Watersports instructor will also be part of the hospitality team and host guest lunch and dinners as required.
For more info on the hotel and the group look at www.virgin.com/limitededition and follow the link to Necker Island.
Here’s what you need to have:
Qualifications / Experience
- Qualified in water sports skills: (e.g. RYA certifications, kitesurfing and diving qualifications )
- MCA yacht master license (commercially endorsed), or BVI boat master license (commercially endorsed)
- STCW 95
- Quality resort/ property experience
- First Aid qualified
- Yoga, Pilates, personal training experience an advantage
- Overseas or Caribbean experience an advantage
- Bar or restaurant experience an advantage
Behaviours / Skills
- A passion for making exceptional holidays
- Able to work with and accommodate different cultures
- Team worker and proven customer service skills
- Excellent guest contact skills/socially confident
- Good communication skills
- High degree of attention to detail
- Passion and pride in work
- Happy to be hands on
- Able to perform gracefully under pressure
- Sense of fun
- Calm in emergency situations
- Resourceful approach – able to troubleshoot in the event of a change of plan
What’s the gig?
Here’s what you’d do:
Responsibilities include working with the team to provide activities and entertainment for the guests.
- Providing day to day watersports lessons and teaching some of the most interesting people in the world
- Preparing, setting up and packing down guest areas
- Day to day driving of the ribs for guest excursions or airport runs
- Cleaning and detailing of the powerboat Fleet
- General Admin
- Assisting in guest excursions
- Ensuring the safety of guests and staff in the water
- Helping to ensure the regular repair and maintainance, and safety checks are conducted and recorded for equipment and powerboats
- Being a part of the hosting team once a week
Here’s the deal
Package & Benefits
- Minimum 12 month contract (subject to work permit approval)
- Initial flights from country of residence (and return at end of contract) and if contract extended the company will provide one return ticket to “home” per annum
- Salary of $18,200 (subject to local taxes)
- 6 day working week
- 24 days paid holiday per year (with a 12month contract)
- Accommodation & meals/ food provided for
- Medical Cover
- Life Insurance cover
- Included in tips and gratuities
- You get to work for the coolest brand in the world!
Job Description Watersports Instructor
Position: Watersports Instructor
Reports to: Activities Manager and General Managers
Watersports & Activities
- Adhere to the safety protocol of the water sports centre.
- Facilitate and instruct guests in the activities and sports we offer which you are experienced and/ or qualified in.
- Ensure that the Watersports building is kept in a tidy and serviceable state.
- Store all Watersports and activity equipment in its’ correct location.
- Ensure the gym has sufficient towels and all equipment is in serviceable condition. Restock fridge with water and other requested drinks
- Keep snorkelling equipment on both Turtle beach and main beach ready for use. Give guests relevant advice regarding snorkelling and swimming.
- Drive the power boats for guest excursions, transfers and snorkel trips in accordance to the guidance and directions given by the operations manager and the power boat protocol.
- To ensure guests’ safety at all times and refer any requests regarded as unsafe or any guests refusing to cooperate on safety issues to management.
- Ensure that all sail boats are maintained in perfect condition. Oversee regular inspections/troubleshooting. Solve any issues that could result in damage to equipment or injury to the guests.
- Ensure that all windsurfing, kite-surfing, water skiing, paddle boarding and related equipment are maintained in excellent working order. Effect repairs as necessary. Coordinate orders to ensure necessary parts are obtained following standard PO procedure as well as following set budget guidelines.
- Oversee the presentation of the Water sports centre ensuring that it is clean, organized and professional. Make sure that all equipment is secured at the end of each day. Make sure that equipment is accounted for and that all guests are safely ashore. Conduct guest count as required.
- Ensure that all necessary safety equipment is available and in perfect working order. This includes Life jackets, first aid kits, spinal board, oxygen, flares, fire extinguishers and all related safety equipment.
- Assist with preparation of bars/coolers etc. at all dining locations as well as assist with location set ups as required.
- Participate in guest hosting rotation as scheduled. Ensure the guests are having fun in a clean, safe environment. Make sure house is secured prior to ending hosting shift.
- To ensure that all guest vehicles are clean, fueled and placed at the correct locations for arrival.
- Assist with Necker Islands charitable activities including but not exclusive to providing local swimming lessons.
- Deal with guest comments and complaints, to ensure total customer satisfaction, and report back to the management on action taken.
- To ensure that all control procedures are followed and enforced and that all statutory requirements are understood and followed.
- To have a clear working knowledge of the Island’s policies and operate within them at all times and to ensure staff awareness of relevant policies.
- To co-operate with management and other workers and to ensure a harmonious working and living atmosphere.
- Assist with guest’s luggage on guest arrival and departure day.
- To carry out any other reasonable requests required by the management.
- When off Island, to behave in an appropriate manner as a representative of Necker Island.
- You shall not, during the course of your employment or thereafter, disclose to any person any confidential information relating to the business dealings of the company, guests or employees or any other matters that may come to your knowledge by reason of your employment.
- You will maintain total confidentiality as to the identity of the guests staying on Necker; breaches of this nature will be treated seriously.
- To attend meetings when required and support the communications process.
- To co-operate with management and other employees, to ensure a harmonious working atmosphere.
- To respond to fire emergencies as stated and trained for in the fire procedures.
- Problems with any members of staff will be reported to the management.
- Assist in preparation for Hurricanes.
- Be well groomed and representable in Necker Island uniform (provided by Necker) when on duty.